Te Kura

How to enrol

Once you’ve confirmed your eligibility, you can enrol online or download an enrolment form.

You may need to submit documents to support your application for enrolment, depending on what category you are enrolling under.

If you are applying under Ministry of Education enrolment criteria, you must be able to give proof of New Zealand citizenship, permanent residence, or verified domestic student status. This is not required if you have attended a school in New Zealand during the last five years.

Application requirements

Overseas students 

All students living overseas who are New Zealand citizens or permanent residents need to send proof of citizenship status with their application. This includes fee-payers.

If you are eligible under Ministry of Education requirements, we need a letter from your parents’/guardians’ employer. The letter must say:

  • there is no employee subsidy for education
  • the family will be returning to New Zealand
  • no suitable education is available locally.

Geographic isolation 

If you are applying under the geographic isolation category, you may need to provide proof of citizenship. When we receive your application form, we will check your eligibility with the Ministry of Education School Transport Service Agent.


If you are applying under the itinerancy category, please complete the itinerary on page 5 of the enrolment form, showing the dates and the locality of your movements over the next six months. Provide details of locations to be visited, dates and duration of stay.

Elite athlete/dancer/musician/sports/performer

For students applying under the elite athlete/dancer/musician/sports/performer category, you will need to provide a letter of attestation from the formally constituted and recognised national body for your sport or artistic form. It should say:

  • you are likely to represent New Zealand or be in the top grade for your age group
  • your programme is appropriate and prevents regular attendance at a regular school
  • how long you are going to be enrolled.

The letter should include an educational profile from your previous school.

Pregnant or primary caregiver

If you are applying under the pregnant or primary caregiver category, we need a medical or midwife’s certificate on letterhead that gives the baby’s expected due date, or a copy of the baby’s birth certificate.

Ministry for Vulnerable Children, Oranga Tamariki, custody

If your student is under the custody of Ministry for Vulnerable Children, Oranga Tamariki, you will need to provide a letter signed by the practice or service delivery unit manager. It should state that the student is in Ministry for Vulnerable Children, Oranga Tamariki, custody or guardianship, the likely length of enrolment and the supervision arrangements for study.

Early childhood (medical grounds)

For early childhood enrolment applications on medical grounds, please send a certificate from a specialist in the condition that is preventing the student’s attendance.

Special developmental needs

If your student has special developmental needs, we need a Ministry of Education Special Education report verifying that no local service can meet your student’s needs.

Feepayers living in New Zealand

  • For students aged between 6 and 15, send us a copy of your exemption to home school.
  • If you are a New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or verified domestic student, please send proof of your citizenship status. If you are not a New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or verified domestic student, and are not enrolled with another school, you cannot enrol with us.
  • If you are a current school student enrolling in an extra class which is unfunded, you need to send us a letter of support from your school principal.

Phone calls recorded

Te Kura is joining many other organisations that routinely record telephone calls for training purposes. We have also implemented an option for students enrolling over the telephone to record the declaration part of the enrolment form, rather than signing the paper version of the declaration and posting it back to us. You have the right under the Privacy Act 1993 to request a copy of any information about you which we hold, and this would include a copy of any recordings.