Te Kura

Overseas students

If you’re thinking about enrolling with Te Kura while you will be overseas, there are a few things you should consider before making the decision.

Internet access

Most Te Kura courses have an online component and some courses are only available online through our Online Teaching and Learning Environment, including our new courses at curriculum levels 3-5 (years 9 and 10) and NCEA Level 1. 

Overseas students cannot enrol in an online course without an email address and regular access to the internet.

Overseas students can communicate with their teachers through OTLE or by email using the format firstname.surname@tekura.school.nz.

A printer and scanner would be useful. Read our guide to online learning at Te Kura in 2017 for more information.

Overseas mailing

If teachers have to order hard copy resources from our warehouse, expect some delays in the postal service. Please contact Sharee Chapman on 0800 65 99 88, extension 8775 for more information.

Science, Art or Graphics boxes cannot be sent overseas. Generally the content of these can be bought overseas and your teacher will let you know what you need.

Language study

If you are studying a language you will need equipment to make electronic recordings. There are a number of online programmes that can be used if your computer has a microphone. Audacity is a free programme you can download from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Work return

Work must be returned every 2 to 3 weeks. If no work is received in a two month period you will be withdrawn from the roll.

Studying by distance

Studying by distance in an overseas country requires self-discipline and motivation if you want to succeed. We recommend that you look at the information contained in the Student Toolkit. Planning your time, setting yourself a timetable and keeping in regular contact with your learning advisor and subject teachers are key to successful study.

Change of address

You must inform Te Kura of any change of physical address well in advance. Contact your learning advisor with the details of your new address. If your email address or phone number changes inform your learning advisor immediately.


Examinations for externally assessed achievement standards can be sat overseas only if you meet the following requirements. (This does not apply to students in the Cook Islands or Niue.)

You must be living outside New Zealand at the time of NZQA exams in New Zealand (usually early November to early December each year) and enrolled through our
  • full-time gateway OR
  • fee-paying overseas gateway in at least three NCEA subjects.

Please note overseas exams are sat in October and arranged through Te Kura. You cannot sit New Zealand Scholarship exams overseas.

School terms

Te Kura operates during normal New Zealand school terms. Teachers are not available during the school holidays. Check the Key Dates page on our website to see the current year's term dates. 

Important websites

www.nzqa.govt.nz. This is the New Zealand Qualification Authority website for NCEA information. You can log on using your NSN number to check on any credits you have received.

https://tekura.desire2learn.com/. This is the link to our Online Teaching and Learning Environment (OTLE). If your course(s) has an online component you will be sent login and password details to get started.

www.careers.govt.nz. This is a useful website for finding out about careers, and educational institutions and courses in NZ. If you have questions about requirements for entry to courses at polytechnics or universities it is best to contact the institution directly.