Te Kura

Dental and health care

Students are entitled to a free dental service until they turn 18. This is provided by dentists in private practice, but not all dentists are part of this scheme. You can call a dentist and ask if they are a provider under a government contract, or you can get the names of dentists who are part of the scheme by contacting your local District Health Board. Ask to speak to the Dental Services manager.

If you want your student to have a medical examination you will need to make arrangements with the Medical Officer of Health at your local District Health Board office. (You will find them listed in the front section of the phone book under Hospitals and other health service providers.) Or contact your local public health nurse.

For more information on accessing dental and health care services for your student, visit the Ministry of Health's website at www.moh.govt.nz