My child doesn’t meet the eligibility criteria. Can we still enrol?

You may be able to enrol your child as a fee-paying student. Check the course fees schedule for details.

Do you cater for children who have an exemption to be home schooled?

Yes, these children can be enrolled as fee-paying students. We need to receive a copy of the Certificate of Exemption from the Ministry of Education with the enrolment.

How can I get a Certificate of Exemption to home school?

Discuss this with the principal of your student’s current school. Formal application needs to be made to your local Ministry of Education office.

What are the isolation criteria?

A student must live further than a certain distance from the nearest school, regardless of whether it is the school the student attends. The distance is measured over the shortest public road or walking route from the home roadside gate of the student to the nearest school. The full policy and distance requirements are in the Ministry of Education’s enrolment policy.

Our family travels around the country a lot. Are we eligible to enrol?

If your family plans to move at least once each term, and each move would require a change of school, you may meet itinerancy criteria. The shortest enrolment period is six months. Go to our enrolment section for information on eligibility criteria, or read the Ministry of Education's enrolment policy.

Do I have to be a New Zealander to enrol?

For most categories other than international fee-payer, you need to be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident. Go to our enrolment section for information on eligibility criteria.

My child has special learning needs. Do you provide extra help?

Te Kura provides specialised teaching for students who have specific special learning needs. This includes students referred to us through the Ministry of Education’s special education gateways or who are dual-registered for curriculum adaptation by their home school. Teachers work closely with each student’s parents, supervisor, whānau and anyone else involved in the student’s care to provide a personalised programme of learning appropriate to the student’s needs. At NCEA level, students with specific physical, medical, sensory or learning disabilities may be approved for special assessment conditions (also known as SAC) for internal and external NCEA assessments.