Huarahi Trades Academy is an opportunity for senior secondary students to complete Level 2 NCEA through Te Kura as well as credits towards a national certificate in a vocational trade at Level 2 or above.
What does it offer?
Courses for one or two days a week with our partners:
- Top of the South Trades Academy (NMIT)
- Bay of Plenty Trades Academy (BOP Polytech)
- Waikato Trades Academy (Wintec)
- Taranaki Trades Academy (WITT)
- U-Skills (UCOL)
- PITA (Taratahi) – North Island
- G and H Trade Training – North Island wide (see the flyers for information on carpentry and automotive training)
- Land Based Trade Academy (National Trades Academy)
- Canterbury Tertiary College (CPIT)
- Otago Secondary-Tertiary College (Otago Polytechnic)
- Te Tai Tokerau Trades Academy (Northtec)
- Eastern Bay of Plenty Trades Academy (Waiariki)
- Hawkes Bay Schools Trades Academy (EIT)
- West Coast Trades Academy (Tai Poutini)
- West Auckland Fono
- Wellington Trades Academy (Weltec/Whitirea)
- CanTrain (Enviroskills).
Courses available by distance with:
We are continually looking for new partners and opportunities for our students. If you are interested in a programme or provider not listed here, please get in touch.
What are the benefits for students?
- A hands-on, practical approach to prepare you for work or further tertiary study.
- An individual learning plan based on your interests and passions.
- Putting theory into practice through a work placement and assessment or practical components in your chosen pathway.
- Improved confidence, self-esteem and work readiness.
- Potential for accelerated entry into the workforce and/or trade training.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible to apply for a place on a Huarahi Trades Academy programme, you must:
- be a secondary school aged student and
- enrolled with Te Kura in at least four subjects at a minimum of NCEA Level 1.
This is a full-time commitment over a one to two year period, although some students may achieve their goals over a longer or shorter period. There are no tuition fees.
If you’re interested in being part of the Huarahi Trades Academy please talk to your Learning Advisor or contact Kathryn Smith on 0800 65 99 88 extension 8552 or email firstname.lastname@example.org