Dental and health care

Visiting the dentist

Students are entitled to free dental care until they turn 18 years old. This is provided by dentists in private practice, although not all dentists are part of the scheme. Contact your local community oral health service or phone 0800 TALK TEETH (0800 825 583).

Health care

If your student requires a medical examination, you will need to make arrangements with the medical officer of health at your local district health board public health unit or contact your local public health nurse.

You can talk to a registered nurse any time of the day or night through Healthline (0800 611 116). These calls are free, including from mobile phones.

Hearing and vision services

If your student is 15 or under and has vision problems, you may be able to get the spectacle subsidy. People who are deaf or have hearing loss may also be eligible for free services. For information on how to access these services visit the Ministry of Health website.